Sunday, October 1, 2006

Creating the mold part 2

I went to the Borg again to pick up some Lexan and an X-Acto knife. I started out by making the template. This time I used the bandsaw, hand plane, and files like I did the first time. The template turned out well.

The next thing I wanted to tackle was the mold. I unclamped the mold, traced out the template and setup my bandsaw for the cutting'. Oh man, was this trouble. I didn't have a fine tooth blade. Nor did I have a narrow blade. Half of the mold is 3 1/4" thick. It took me over an hour to cut half of the mold. I kept bogging down the bandsaw. Not only that, since I did not have a narrow blade could not make fine radius cuts. So I had to cut some by hand with a coping saw. All in all the half mold did not turn out too bad. I got discouraged and did not finish the second half. I will have to find some way to sand the radii on the mold. A spindle sander would be nice, but I think I will find one of the drill sanders. Give that low cost solution a try. After I cut out the first part of the mold I setup the second part for cutting. I will do some research on blade options before I cut the second half.
Looking at the bandsaw turns out a set screw that holds a blade guide is missing. That would really explain why the blade skewed when I tried to cut. See the pic with the yellow arrowto see where the set screw should go. Stupid set screw.

No comments: