Saturday, September 30, 2006

Creating the mold part 1

September 30, 2006
Today I started creating an outside mold. Kinkead, and most of the folks on OLF use an outside mold. So I cut up 8 pieces of MDF per the Kinkead book. 4 pieces of MDF will create 1 half of the mold. So here's a pic before glue up. I used Titebond II for glue up. I spread the glue on each face with a foam staining brush. I need to get one of those roller things that Norm uses. After glue up, I put my quick release clamps to use. Titebond II says that it has to set for at least 30 minutes. So, after thirty minutes, I removed all the clamps, put the mold in the floor and put a Sun Sparc Station 20 on it for weight. I repeated the process to glue up the mirroredhalf of the mold. At this point I set the clamped up mold on top of the old computer. Then put a couple of bricks on it for weight. I let the mold set overnight.
At this point, I had not made my Lexan template of the body. While the glue was curing on the mold halves I thought I would cut out the Lexan template. I repeated the process for creating the template I did at the beginning, with one exception. Instead of cutting out the template on the bandsaw, I decided to try using a jigsaw to cut out the template. BIG mistake! The jigsaw ended up melting the Lexan. And the part of the Lexan that didn't melt shattered. Oh yeah, that was my last sheet of Lexan. I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments: