Sunday, October 15, 2006

Yet more mold.

I picked up more MDF, Titebond, some 3/8" lag screws and washers (for the go-bar) and a small paint roller from the orange Borg this morning. When I got back to the house Iunclamped the mold from yesterday an set it aside and then cut the last 2 pieces of the go-bar. I chose 2 pieces to be the top and started glueup. I got the small paint roller to help spread the glue. Too spongy. It soaked more glue than is spread. I trashed it and used the cardboard piece, to which the roller was attached. Once glued, I clamped up the boards and set them aside to cure for minimum of 30 minutes. While the boards dried, I hand sanded the guitar mold. I checked it with a try square and the mold was within 1/32". I hope that is good enough. It took me about 30 to 45 minutes to sand the mold. Guess what! That just happens to be the amount of time to wait to take off the clamps on the top half of the mold. I took off the clamps and repeated the gluing process for the bottom. I decided to follow Stewart MacDonald's template for a go-bar. I use MDF where they recommend plywood. The top is 2 3/4" pieces and the bottom is 4 3/4" pieces.

No comments: